- To be eligible for an assignment, please return this application form no later than February 15, 2019.
The timeline for placement is as follows:
• February 18-28, an MDS placement coordinator will work with all applications to assign placements.
• By March 1, groups are informed of their placement opportunities.
• No later than March 15, groups must confirm their placement via email or phone.
• By March 31, the $50 per person, non-refundable placement fee must be paid. In order to place as many youth groups as possible, if payment (check only) is not received by March 31, your assignment will be offered to a group on the waiting list with no exceptions. Thanks for your interest in MDS, and we look forward to working with you!
SYP is designed primarily for high school youth age 15+ (or must have completed grade nine). Groups must include one adult to every three youth, with most of the accompanying adults having construction or building trades experience.
Location & Date Choices
Please select only ONE 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice option out of the 14 options available to indicate the week(s) you are available to serve. For example, If you select multiple first choices, then it is not clear what your preference really is!
In response to Canada’s Truth & Reconciliation Commission and the invitation for churches to engage in reconciliation of past wrongs MDS is partnering with Woodlands Cultural Centre and Mennonite Central Committee Ontario in their Save the Evidence campaign to respond to the human and social disaster of the Canadian Residential School System.
MDS will be assisting in restoring parts of the Mohawk Institute Indian Residential School in Brantford, which operated for 142 years from 1828-1970. This is project is not only focused on the restoration of a building, but also about learning the culture and past of the Six Nations of that region.
Conway, South Carolina
Located 15 miles northwest of Myrtle Beach, Conway experienced their flooding event about 10 days after Hurricane Florence hit land in North Carolina on September 14, 2018.
Pine Ridge, South Dakota
The Pine Ridge reservation is home to the Oglala Lakota tribe. Straight line winds, tornados, hailstorms, and floods severely damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes during May and June, 2015, and again in September, 2016.
Please mark your first choice for location and week. Please choose only one.
Please mark your second choice for location and week. Please choose only one.
Please mark your third choice for location and week. Please choose only one.
Agreement of expectations
The sponsors or leaders of this group acknowledge and agree that:
• the group size is limited based on project capacity
• the group will include one adult for every (3) youth, half of the adults must be skilled
• all group members are informed and agree to respect the MDS dress code which includes that all persons are covered from shoulders to knees
• In order to place as many youth groups as possible, if payment (check only) is not received by March 31, your assignment will be offered to a group on the waiting list with no exceptions. Thanks for your interest in MDS, and we look forward to working with you!
• we understand that unusual circumstances may require MDS to shift or cancel a project. In the rare event this happens MDS makes every effort to relocate groups to other suitable locations.
I/we have read and agree to the above:
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.