Leadership Volunteers are responsible for the day to day operations of an MDS project. They work together with local community partners and homeowners, organize the work for the weekly volunteers, and ensure that all volunteers are well fed and cared for throughout their time on the project.
MDS Leadership Volunteers…
- Are Christian men and women (age 19+) years of age
- Have a desire to share time to provide leadership at an MDS project, usually for four weeks or more
- Have compassion to serve other volunteers and homeowners after disaster
- Have life skills to lead and work cooperatively to help families rebuild after disaster
- Have good to excellent health and stamina for hard work
- Have ability to manage people, workflow, and a variety of vendors
- May have construction experience – this is helpful
Leadership Volunteer positions include:
Watch the videos at the bottom of this page to get a sense of what each Leadership Volunteer position is like.
Leadership Volunteer Application Process
- Complete the Leadership Application (required).
- Interview and reference check (required).
- If you have never served on an MDS project, start here to apply for a week-long experience.
- Attend leadership training and specific training for desired position(s). See below for training information.
- Shadow – spend one week learning from an experienced volunteer, as requested and available.
- Work with your Volunteer Coordinator to find a placement!
- Completion of an application and participating in an interview does not guarantee placement on an MDS project.
- Travel expenses to and from projects are reimbursed according to the current MDS policy.
- A small stipend is provided to Leadership Volunteers.
- Volunteers are responsible for their own medical healthcare insurance – MDS carries secondary accident insurance for all volunteers.
- Pets are NOT allowed on projects. (Exception: RV sites that allow pets – pets must be left at the RV site.)
For more information or to serve, please contact:
Canadian residents: Kelsey Friesen at 866-261-1274 or email email@example.com
U.S. residents: Josh Carson at 800-241-8111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Schedule for Leadership Trainings
We have worked with the Regions for their input and location preferences. Registration forms will be forthcoming for each event.
- Project Director, Construction Supervisor, Crew Leader Training – held online, dates TBD
- General Leadership Training – held online, dates TBD
For more information about MDS Leadership Trainings, contact Nancy Chapman, Volunteer Training Specialist, at 717-735-3536 or email email@example.com.