Leadership Volunteers are responsible for the day to day operations of an MDS project. They work together with local community partners and homeowners, organize the work for the weekly volunteers, and ensure that all volunteers are well fed and cared for throughout their time on the project.
MDS Leadership Volunteers…
- Are Christian men and women (age 19+) years of age
- Have a desire to share time to provide leadership at an MDS project, usually for four weeks or more
- Have compassion to serve other volunteers and homeowners after disaster
- Have life skills to lead and work cooperatively to help families rebuild after disaster
- Have good to excellent health and stamina for hard work
- Have ability to manage people, workflow, and a variety of vendors
- May have construction experience – this is helpful
Leadership Volunteer positions include:
Watch the videos at the bottom of this page to get a sense of what each Leadership Volunteer position is like.
Leadership Volunteer Application Process
- Complete the Leadership Application (required).
- Interview and reference check (required).
- If you have never served on an MDS project, start here to apply for a week-long experience.
- Attend leadership training and specific training for desired position(s). See below for training information.
- Shadow – spend one week learning from an experienced volunteer, as requested and available.
- Work with your Volunteer Coordinator to find a placement!
- Completion of an application and participating in an interview does not guarantee placement on an MDS project.
- Travel expenses to and from projects are reimbursed according to the current MDS policy.
- A small stipend is provided to Leadership Volunteers.
- Volunteers are responsible for their own medical healthcare insurance – MDS carries secondary accident insurance for all volunteers.
- Pets are NOT allowed on projects. (Exception: RV sites that allow pets – pets must be left at the RV site.)
For more information or to serve, please contact:
Canadian residents: Kelsey Friesen at 866-261-1274 or email email@example.com
U.S. residents: Josh Carson at 800-241-8111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Leadership Training Schedule
We have worked with the Regions for their input and location preferences. Registration forms will be forthcoming for each event.
In person trainings may be changed to online if the need arises. We will follow CDC guidelines for capacity and safety protocols.
- General Leadership Training – September 20-22 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- Office Manager Training – September 23-24 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- General Leadership Training – November 9-11 – Hesston, Kansas
- Construction Training (Project Directors, Construction Supervisors, & Crew Leaders) – December 1-2 – Lititz, Pennsylvania (simultaneous with Office Manager Training)
- Office Manager Training – December 1-2 – Lititz, Pennsylvania (simultaneous with Construction Training)
- General Leadership Training – March 14-16 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- Office Manager Training – March 17-18 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- Cooks Training – April 6-7 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- General Leadership Training – May 30-June 1 – Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Cooks Training – June 2-3 – Winnipeg, Manitoba
- General Leadership Training – July 18-20 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
- Office Manager Training – July 21-22 – Lititz, Pennsylvania
Return to this page for updates on MDS trainings!
For more information about MDS Leadership Trainings contact Nancy Chapman, Volunteer Training Specialist, at 717-735-3536 or email@example.com.