MDS Biweekly Update – October 9, 2019
October 10, 2019
MDS has urgent need for volunteers in Florida, Texas, North Carolina and California. For more information about how to vacation with a purpose this winter please visit the weekly volunteer calendar, email email@example.com, or calling 800-241-8111 if you are interested in serving as a weekly volunteer.
You can view updated Leadership and RV needs here.
MDS All Unit Meeting, February 7-8, 2020, Goshen, IN Register today!
Please watch the video about being an MDS leadership volunteer as an Office Manager.
From the Director’s Letter, a list of helpful things to say and do when providing spiritual care in times of disaster (credit: Light our Way; A Guide for Spiritual Care in Times of Disasters, pg. 17)
Things to Say:
• I am so very sorry
• My heart is with you
• I am here to help you in any way I can
• You have my sincere sympathy
• Friends here are with you at this time
• My sympathy for your loss
• You will be in my prayers at this time
• My prayers are with you at this time
• What can I do to help you at this time?
Things to Keep in Mind:
• Avoid clichés
• Don’t avoid a deceased victim’s name
• Never preach or proselytize
• Offer prayer if requested
• Support people finding their own solutions to problems
• Be cautious about giving advice
• Permit persons to share their memories
• Share your emotions sincerely
• Encourage people to be connected to loved ones
• Let people share their stories